Good News from the Resistance: When Brian Kemp, the King of Voter Suppression, beat Stacey Abrams for the governorship of Georgia, it was not Good News. But only if you’re a short term thinker. In the long term, it may turn out to be Excellent News. Why? “Because the title of governor isn’t nearly as important as our shared title — voters. And that is why we fight on,” Abrams told her supporters. Watch out, Jim Crow, because Abrams is throwing her energy and smarts into Fair Fight Georgia, intent on dismantling Kemp’s legacy of systematic voter disenfranchisement and election disinvestment. To which we say, Go, Stacey, Go!
Thanks in large part to our Cheater-in-Chief, Americans have woken up to the GOP’s smarmy voter-suppression tricks — purged registrations, capriciously canceled ballots, and hours-long lines in neighborhoods that prefer Democrats. The midterms were a good start: Florida restored voting rights to 1.5 million former felons; Trump’s pal Kris Kobach, the mastermind behind the biggest voter-suppression scheme in recent history, lost the governorship in Kansas to Democrat Laura Kelly; voters backed anti-gerrymandering measures in Michigan, Colorado, Missouri and Utah; Michigan and Nevada passed automatic voter registration. There’s been much to celebrate about the Blue Wave (yeah us!) and high voter turnout (shout out to Minnesota!). Let’s add strengthening election integrity to that list. And it’s only going to get better.
We’ll end with a Good News question: When a bad thing happens to a bad person (or organization), is it Good News? (Kind of like -2 x -2 = 4). As in: Papadopoulos is in jail; NRA donations have taken a dive; Proud Boys had to walk after being rejected by taxis and Uber; Ivanka was busted; at least 5 Democratic-led Congressional committees plan to scrutinize Betsy DeVos’s “special mix of incompetence and malevolence.” Good News, or not? You be the judge. There’s more Definitely Good News from the Resistance:
- Be amazed that the Dems pulled off something that’s never been done before
- Look up “wanker” then listen to this
- Thank this former regulator for undoing the evil DeVos has wrought
- Laugh at the Finns’ hilarious response to Trump’s “raking”
- Wish that every healthcare CEO was this generous
- Cheer for this angry judge
- Hope this Pop-Up store comes to a neighborhood near you
- Wonder where these non-profits are holding their galas
- Take Action: Sign up to get notified about what to do if Trump fires Mueller
Sign Up. Show Up. Never Give Up.