Good News from the Resistance: It’s been a horrible week. We’ve heard from many Resisters who are sick with despair – so many that we decided to publish this Special Edition. Our goal is simple: we want to inspire you to stop compulsively checking your newsfeeds, get up from the couch and move away from the TV, and put the Ben & Jerry’s back into the freezer. We urge you to Sign Up. Show Up. Never Give Up.
From the beginning, we knew this presidency would test us; we didn’t know the specifics, but we knew it would be bad. This week, more than others, we learned that our institutions are letting us down. Congress is in cahoots with a corrupt president, and we can no longer count on the courts for justice. In times like these we turn to one of our favorite philosophers for insight: Mr. Rogers, who told us, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You always find people who are helping.’”
The Helpers rarely make headline news. Which is why we need to seek them out, applaud and elevate the work they’re doing, learn from them, and be inspired by them. We dedicate this Special Edition to all of The Helpers — individuals and organizations — that continue to work to make America a country we can be proud of. Thank you.
- NFL players who pulled an all-nighter filling backpacks for immigrant families
- Charlotte and Dave Willner, who have raised over $20 million for migrant kids
- Indivisible, which has created thousands of groups to resist Trump’s agenda (Sign Up!)
- Faith leaders who continue to get arrested for protesting family separations
- Activist Saily Avelenda of NJ 11th for Change, who showed us how to oust a 12-term GOP Congressman
- Campaign staff of the 43 Democrats that have flipped red seats blue since Trump
- John Lewis, whose skull was cracked fighting for justice, now urges us to keep fighting
- Asylum seekers who fought and won, thanks to PAIR
- Swing Left, which has an actionable plan to flip the House Blue (Sign Up!)
- ACLU, which continues to fight in the courts for the soul of our country
- Parkland students who teach us to keep fighting
- Obama, who has (finally) decided to hit the midterms campaign trail
- Become a Helper by Pledging to Act this Saturday: Show up at a Keep Families Together rally near you
Sign Up. Show Up. Never Give Up.