Good News from the Resistance: As we hit SEND, propelling Good News into email inboxes around the world, Anita Hill redux is playing out, 27-years later. No Good News there. But Good News seekers, don’t lament. It takes little more than a scratch of the privileged-white-patriarchal surface (i.e., Senate Judiciary committee) to see that 1992, popularly referred to as the Year of the Woman, is going to pale by comparison to 2018, Year of the Badass Democratic Women Leaders (think Ayanna and Alexandria). In 1992 there were 5 women in the Senate, today there are 21. That’s good, but as we’re seeing through Kavanaugh’s confirmation process, not good enough. Here’s what is good: Our Sexual-Harasser-in-Chief has lit a fire in our Badass Bellies, and we’re not letting anyone put it out.
- Personal: Stormy, Karen, and dozens more have told their stories, are filing lawsuits, and continuing to spill the beans in discovery. They are not going away.
- Political: A record number of women are running for office, which is likely to result in a record number of women in the Senate, and a record-bashing 100 new women in Congress.
- Pecuniary: Indiana sisters Deborah and Cynthia Simon, heirs to a shopping center fortune, have despised Mike Pence before many of us knew his name. He’s been the source of their motivation to donate over $12 million to Democratic candidates… so far. The Simon sisters are just two players in this year’s surge in women’s political donations.
Speaking of sisters, two key voices have played a capacious, yet under-the-radar role in Trump’s eventual demise: Paul Manafort’s daughters, Andrea and Jessica. In February 2017, hackers broke into Andrea’s phone, gaining access to 300,000 texts, many detailing their dad’s relationship with then-candidate Trump (“Perfect allies. Trump probably has more morals than my dad. Which is really just saying something about my dad. My dad is a psycho!!! At least trump let his wives leave him.”), and Manafort’s unsavory work in Ukraine (“Don’t fool yourself … That money we have is blood money. You know he has killed people in Ukraine? Knowingly. As a tactic to outrage the world and get focus on Ukraine.”).
Imagine Robert Mueller’s glee when he read these texts. And the smile on his face when, soon after, he learned Paul Manafort’s email password: bond007. To which we say, one more time, Go, Bob, Go! There’s more Good News from the Resistance:
- Watch this edgy campaign ad to get young people to vote
- Cheer that a woman bilked out of Nobel Prize became a $3 million winner
- Be soothed, knowing that Mueller’s Manafort indictments are “prosecutorial masterpieces“
- Be awed that Obama convinced Victoria’s Secret GOP billionaire to switch parties
- Know that Saudi Arabia finally permitted a woman to anchor the news
- Thank Atlanta’s mayor for issuing this Executive Order
- Clap for LeBron’s comeback
- Learn who Jessica Bond is, and why she changed her name
- Laugh when you see how “Plastic Jesus”put Trump behind bars
- Take Action: Click to make sure you are registered vote, then send to others
Sign Up. Show Up. Never Give Up.
WE THIS CAMPAIGN … BUT WILL YOUNG PEOPLE?
Knock the Vote is a creative GOTV campaign targeting young people. It’s certainly not for everyone. Watch it and decide for yourself.
WE THAT THIS SCIENTIST FINALLY GOT RECOGNITION FOR HER WORK
And she’s putting her prize to good use.
WE MUELLER’S BRAIN
Not being let in on his process has upped our anxiety, but his results are calming us down.
WE (FORMER) GOP BILLIONAIRE LES WEXNER
For being loud and proud.
WE SAUDI WOMEN FOR NOT GIVING UP
And reminding us that Baby Steps matter.
WE ATLANTA MAYOR KEISHA LANCE BOTTOMS
For issuing an Executive Order that beats Trump at his own game.
WE LEBRON JAMES FOR YET ANOTHER REASON
When Trump insulted him, he had the perfect comeback.
WE JESSICA BOND’S ROAD TO RECOVERY
Talk about dysfunctional families … hers raises the bar.
WE SEEING TRUMP BEHIND BARS
Those L.A. artists are just so darn creative!
WE TAKING ACTION: CLICK TO VERIFY YOU’RE REGISTERED TO VOTE
Then make a plan to vote on November 6 (absentee voting has begun in many states), post and forward the website far and wide. Nothing less than our democracy is at stake.