Good News from the Resistance: It’s become de rigueur for political writers, talking heads, and members of the clergy (with the exception of Evangelicals) to conjure MLK’s, “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice,” to soothe us each time the Swamp Thing-in-Chief concocts a new way to impose hate. Increasingly, the quote is making me feel sick. Unwilling for the Swamp Thing to ruin even MLK for me, I decided to take a look at recent news through an arc-of-justice lens. Good News! As it turns out, the arc is bending towards justice in many places, and it isn’t all that long. (Except in the VA and PA suburbs, where it took quite a while, but last month it finally moved).
Exactly how long is the arc ? Within the last few weeks …
- Trump gave up on $8.6 billion funding for his Wall, which he demanded last March.
- Moral arc = 8 months
- Roger Stone was found guilty of lying to Robert Mueller in order to protect Trump; Mueller had him arrested last January.
- Moral arc = 10 months
- The New York Supreme Court ordered the non-profit Trump Foundation to pay a $2 million settlement for stealing money from military vets; the lawsuit was filed in June 2018.
- Moral arc = 17 months
- Rudy Giuliani is now the subject of three investigations — criminal and counterintelligence — for his dealing in Ukraine; he became Trump’s personal lawyer in April 2018, as his role model-predecessor, Michael Cohen, was heading off to jail. (Note: Moral arc for conviction will be longer. Stay tuned.).
- Moral arc = 19 months
- A Congressional oversight panel sued AG William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross for documents that allegedly show Ross pushed for a citizenship question on the 2020 Census in order to intentionally undercount African Americans, Latinos, and other minorities; Trump ordered Ross to include the question in December 2017. (Note: The Supreme Court ruled against the question last June).
- Moral arc = 23 months (or less, depending on when you start counting)
- The woman who famously flipped off Trump’s motorcade from her bike and was subsequently fired by her employer was elected to the Loundon County, VA Board of Supervisors, flipping the seat Blue.
- Moral arc = 25 months
- Democrats won full control of the VA state legislature.
- Moral arc = 26 years
- Democrats took control of suburban PA Delaware County for the first time since the Civil War.
- Moral arc = 154 years
Yes, there’s even more Good News from the Resistance:
- Grin ear-to-ear when you read about this 1st-grader’s birthday party
- Say boo-hoo when you learn Sean Spicer’s fate
- Be amazed that Cruella DeVos did something good
- Wonder how the University of Florida-Don Trump Jr. impeachment case will wind up
- Clap when you see the Drag Queen who stole the show at the impeachment hearings
- Try to figure out what unicorns have to do with farmers’ markets and white supremacy
- Eat at this restaurant if you’re in D.C.
- Watch these movies instead of watching the news
- Take Action: Learn about Swing Left’s Early Senate Action Fund and the swing states
Sign Up. Show Up. Never Give Up.
WE YOUNG ACTIVISTS
Is she the coolest kid ever?
WE THAT SPICER GOT THE BOOT
And even his former boss’s tweet couldn’t save him.
WE THAT CRUELLA DID SOMETHING GOOD
And we’ll try to suspend disbelief and continue to think she did it because it was the right thing to do.
WE THAT TRUMP JR. IS EMBROILED IN ANOTHER IMPEACHMENT CASE
Bet this one moves more quickly than Dad’s.
WE DRAG QUEENS STEALING THE SPOTLIGHT IN D.C.
“It’s a crazy day in Washington! I’m flipping my wig over the high-energy proceedings today,” she told NBC News. “Tensions are high, and the bar for who’s allowed in the Longworth House is very, very low.”
WE A GOOD UNICORN PROTEST
Unfortunately, this did not end well for him. But he’ll be back!
WE THIS RESTAURANT
Immigrant food and advocacy served up in this new place.
WE THESE MOVIES
A recent survey showed that the more we watch the news these days, the angrier we get. So take a time out and stream these movies.
WE TAKING ACTION: Learn about Swing Left’s Senate Early Action Fund, get involved, and/or donate.